Finding broken links in a PDF (An Update!)

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Thu Jul 12 14:49:21 PDT 2012

Hi Lin...

Note that there are a few settings in DITA-FMx that enable hypertext in
a PDF.

First, in the main DITA Options dialog, there's an "Add Hypertext
Markers to External Xrefs" option. This is for xref/@scope="external"
xrefs .. links to URLs or content outside of the scope of the DITA
files. You probably want this to be enabled.

Then, in the Book Build Settings dialog (button in the Options dialog),
there's the "Convert Xrefs/Links into Hyperlinks" option. Also probably
want this enabled. There's a difference between xrefs and fm-xrefs.
Xrefs are "DITA" cross-refs that are just plain text links .. no
formatting. If you want these to be clickable in a PDF, you must enable
the option. Fm-xrefs are "FrameMaker" cross-refs which make use of
FrameMaker's formatted references .. these will become clickable links
in PDFs by default. Both are stored as xref elements in the underlying
DITA file, but the fm-xrefs convert when open in FM.

You may want to use the dita-fmx-users Yahoo group for DITA-FMx related
questions.

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice