about the paragraph object Pgf

Fri Jul 13 11:30:53 PDT 2012

Amy Zhao wrote:

> I'm reading a script written by the previous tech writer who already
> left the company.
> In the script, it looks for a particular text by looping through all
> the paragraphs (Pgf) of the frame file. Then it checks if the text ends
> up in a table, if it does, it'll extract the conditional tag of the
> table, but if it ends in a paragraph, it'll just gets the conditional
> tag of that paragraph. So, I'm stuck here: does it mean Pgf can be
> table as well?
> You can tell I'm a very beginner to frame script.

Ah, FrameScript. You sent this to me only. You should send to the list, since there are many people better qualified to help you than I am (I haven't done any FrameScript scripting in several years and was never very accomplished). You'll probably have even better luck getting help from the FrameScript Users Yahoo group:

They'll want to know the FM and FrameScript versions and see the script (at least the relevant portion).

Regarding your specific question, Pgf and Tbl (table object) are two different things. A Pgf can be contained in a Cell, which is a component of a Tbl. But a Pgf can also contain a table anchor. So essentially, either one can be "inside" the other.

Assuming your description is accurate, the script is determining (and maybe manipulating) conditional text settings. To hide some text that's not in a table, you apply a condition to the text range or paragraph(s). But if you do that to paragraphs in a table, hiding the condition would still leave the empty table cells. So to hide text in a table, you apply the condition to the table (or a cell/row of it).

Do you have the FrameScript documentation? If so, take a look at the Pgf and Tbl object properties in RefManual.pdf.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom