Disappearing Text in Anchored Frames

Fri Jul 27 18:29:31 PDT 2012

If I had scrolled down, I'd have seen that Rick beat me to it. And remembered the runaround issue, which I forgot. Oh, well, at least now you know at least two people have the same advice. :)

From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Rick Quatro
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 6:02 PM
To: Joseph.Carver at vsea.com; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Disappearing Text in Anchored Frames

Hi Joe,

Pretty bizarre, but I just verified the behavior with my copy of FrameMaker 10. For what it's worth, it doesn't happen in the last beta version of FrameMaker 11.

Note, however, that doing multi-line callouts this way is not really the best approach. When you press the Enter key, you are actually creating a separate Text Line object for each subsequent line. This can cause maintenance headaches later if you want to edit the callouts or change their formatting characteristics. You are better off using a Text Frame so that you can apply a paragraph format to the callouts. This will allow you to easily control all of the formatting for the callouts.

There is one thing to be aware of when adding Text Frame callouts to anchored frames where the callouts will be on top of an imported graphic: make sure you select the imported image, right-click, and choose Runaround Properties. In the resulting dialog box, choose Don't Run Around and click Set. Otherwise, you may find your callouts "overflowing" their Text Frames. In my opinion, this should be the default setting for imported images, but for some reason it is not.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thank you very much.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-283-5045