FM10 crashes saving book as HTML, inserts rogue word

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Sun Jun 3 03:51:50 PDT 2012

Good morning, Framers!
I hope someone has solved this one.
I need to save three FM10 books as three monolithic HTML files. My go-to tool for conversions, Mif2Go, can't do it; it saves each chapter as its own file, with no setting to produce a monolithic file for the whole book.
But when I try to do it using FM10's Save as HTML feature:

*         FM crashes. It saves individual files ok, but it crashes on saving a whole book of any size. It does produce apparently good output, but I don't trust it, because...

*         The X-refs aren't kosher. All my "Heading" X-refs get a "See" inserted:  <Blue><$paratext>Starting the APG comes out as  <A NAME="50577411_pgfId-1055378"></A><A HREF="APG.htm#50577411_52395" CLASS="XRef">See Starting the APG</A>
This is only a problem when saving the book. Individual chapters come out OK. The book doesn't have a reference page or an HTML Setup feature. Where does this extra "See" come from? And of course, it is a pain in the neck resolving this because FM10 crashes every time I save  the book as HTML.
I have been diligent about setting up the conversions with the File>Utilities>HTML Setup feature, and directly in the Reference page. No file in the book includes this extra See.
I wasted an hour on the phone with Adobe Support yesterday, to no avail. In the end he set up a workaround in RoboHelp that did not produce the See, but it also did not produce a monolithic HTML file.
I hope someone can help with this.
john

ps Why save a whole book as a monolithic HTML file? It will never be read by any user. It is to be consumed by a script that will import it into a knowledgebase.