FM10 crashes saving book as HTML, inserts rogue word

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Tue Jun 5 04:18:46 PDT 2012

Chris was definitely onto something, and I learned a lot. Now I get good HTML output, but FM still crashes; that puzzle is in India now.
Here's what I discovered:
To save an entire book as HTML, you first set HTML mappings in one file in the book using File > Utilities> HTML Setup. The settings are stored in an HTML reference page (actually a couple of pages) in that file. Then you copy the settings to other files in the book. Now every file has an HTML reference page with your new settings. These settings include whether to break the file at Heading 1, Heading 2, etc - I had to uncheck those to get the monolithic file that I needed.
When FrameMaker converts the entire book to HTML, it reads the HTML mappings from the first chapter HTML reference pages, and then makes a new BookHTML reference page that it puts into the first file in the book.
None of my three books were generating the BookHTML ref page. As a result, FM was using some default values (I don't know where they live), so the output was wrong - hence the rogue word See inserted into X-Refs.
I added a new Reference page called BookHTML and copied the existing HTML mapping table onto that new ref page. The table was longer than the page, but I let it overflow the frame rather than add a new page. I imported the ref page across all files, updated and saved the book, and tried again.
Now the book generates good HTML, but FM still crashes at the end.
The good output is enough for me to move on to the next phase of my overdue project, but the crash and the failure to autogenerate the reference pages are real issues to be resolved. Those are in Adobe's hands now. I will follow up as needed.
Thanks for everyone's help!
john

ps In my researches, I also saw references to a BookHeadings table or page. I did nothing about that. I may follow up on it if I can.

From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Chris Despopoulos
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 4:41 AM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: FM10 crashes saving book as HTML, inserts rogue word

I can't say anything about the crash.  But I can say that the inconsistencies when saving as HTML may have to do with your book-wide HTML setup.  The first document in the book should have two sets of HTML setup flows, one for the document and one for the book.  Look at your ref pages in that first file -- you should see two versions of each HTML setup table.  Make sure both are in sync.  My guess is they are not.

About the crash, I would try making a special book using your files, but with only the first file in the book, then try that.  See if it crashes.  If it does, then zip it up and send it to the team in India.  You would be doing us all a favor.  If it doesn't crash, add files one-by-one until you get the crash. Then delete files EXCEPT that culprit until it's the only one.  Still crashes?  You might have something odd in that file -- try mif-washing it.  Othersies, zip it up and send it to India!

Cheers              cud