What's your top feature request for FrameMaker 11?

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Fri Jun 8 11:34:02 PDT 2012

Could you please explain what you mean by this:

> From: rinch at Inficon.com
>
> If XML is ever going to become truly mainstream, Adobe has to make
> creating XML outputs just as easy as creating a PDF.

I don't think I've encountered a need for an XML deliverable, yet. Are
you thinking in terms of shared structured content between isolated
content silos or between incompatible data repositories, or similar?

My understanding of the FM XML implementation is that it is a SOURCE
format, not a deliverable format. AS A SOURCE, it can also be
"delivered" to other organizations, for their integration needs. But XML
is really more a place from which content transformations BEGIN, not
where they end.

Further, I don't think Adobe's adoption or not of XML as a development
format will have any impact on XML becoming mainstream. It is a given,
if the World Wide Web Consortium has any say in the matter; and many
major players are almost totally wedded to it already.

Adobe can merely choose whether or not their tools are competitive in
terms of power and cost.

But maybe I misunderstand your meaning of "XML output"...?