Find/Change Character Format Override in FM10

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:20:04 PDT 2012

But removing character overrides doesn't convert overrides of bold text from
the Text Formatting bar to the character tag Bold.

You can always do the File > Utilities > Create and Apply formats dance to
create tags for all the formatted text and at the same time create new ones
for overrides that don't match them. If they are slightly different from
Bold they will be flagged as Bold1, Bold2, etc.

I scrub files this way:

1 File > Utilities > Create and apply formats.
2 Look in the catalog for Char tags like Bold1,Bold2, etc. and then search
and replace them with appropriate tag of a new tag with a more descriptive
name. The ChrFmt, ChrFmt1, etc. are the most fun to do this with.
3 Delete contents of both catalogs completely.
4 Create and Apply formats again.
This gives a clean set of char tags.
5 Repeat step 2 on the paragraph catalog tags and reduce or rename the
entries as appropriate.
6 Delete contents of paragraph catalog.
7 Create and Apply Formats again.

Voila!

I wish the folks who send the "hoarder house" documents I work on sometimes
(full of all kinds of junk to trip over as you navigate the documents),
would do this so I could more easily work with them. But they are
"controlled documents" and can't be fixed, it seems. I call them
"out-of-control documents".

Craig