Importing Math Equations from Word 2010

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 06:11:19 PDT 2012

But note that MS Word only used an equation editor based on Mathtytpe through Word 2003. In Word 2007 MS introduced an all new, designed in house eqution tool that is has some resemblance to TeX in both syntax and capabilities. The new tool is used as the default, with the old editor included in the Word environment to allow recent versions of Word to open legacy documents. The documents Orly has that started life in Word 2003 would still contain equations made with the old Mathtype-based tool, while documents that originated in Word 2007 or 2010 would have equations in the new format.

In either case, if you have either the Standard or Professional version of Acrobat installed on your system, it is relatively easy to use Word's "print selection" capability and the Adobe PDF virtual printer to make a PDF of the just a selected equation, and PDF works beautifully as a FrameMaker graphics import format. I usually find it preferable to crop away the whitespace in Acrobat (although Adobe did a *really* good job of hiding this capability from the user in Acrobat X...) so that I can just import the PDF as-is into Frame.

-Fred Ridder