Disappearing text in PDF: a weird issue

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 07:10:35 PDT 2012

Hi Steve

10.0.2.419 is the latest patch, so that's OK. Meanwhile, I have done some
tests with Fm 10 and earlier versions: 9, 8 and 7.2. It is a weird problem
indeed: I got the same result as your colleague when I generated a PDF from
Fm 10, 9 and 8 but the PDF from FrameMaker 7 was OK. But there is also
something strange going on in the file itself. For example, when I change
the paratag of the WARNING! in the first table to CellBody, I do see
all  the text in the PDF (your colleague may test this as well). I also see
all the text in the PDF when I change the paratag of the vanishing
paragraph (from CellBody to CellBody - Bold). So, I have been able to fix
this problem by applying and renaming the CellBody and CellBody - Bold
paratags:

1. Apply CellBody - Bold to the vanishing paragraph.
2. Rename CellBody - Bold to CellBodyBold.
3. In the vanishing paragraph, change font weight Bold to Regular and Apply
to selection.
4. In the vanishing paragraph, rename CellBodyBold to Cellbody and Apply to
selection.
5. Rename CellBodyBold to CellBody - Bold again and Update All.
6. Put the text cursor in the vanishing paragraph and Update All paragraphs
tagged CellBody.
7. Generate PDF: everything OK.

Phew, quite an experience to be back in the unstructured Fm world. In DITA,
all the author needs to do is insert a <note> element and give it the right
@type attribute (caution, warning, tip etc.). All the rest (icons, hazard
statements, background shading...) is handled automagically by the
transformations and style sheets.

I will send you the file off-list.

Cheers

--