color display, help needed

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 08:11:03 PDT 2012

At 12:49 -0700 21/6/12, Susan Anderson wrote:

>I use unstructured Frame, version 9 (9.0p230), Windows 7 Professional.  The marketing department at my company has asked me to modify the colors that display in the documentation. I've been given RGB values for half a dozen colors but some of the values provided exceed 100 and cannot be entered into Frame. Here's an example of the information I received for one color:
>
>Pantone 072
>CMYK = 100/88/0/5
>RGB=0/28/168
>Web Hex# = 001CA8
>
>How do I ensure that the prescribed colors display correctly in my documents? I haven't worked much with color libraries and am not sure what to do next.

The Pantone shade completely specifies the color: just select it from Frame's Pantone libraries using View -> Color -> Definitions, or whatever that is in FrameMaker 9+. Unless I'm missing something...

As you say you've not worked with color libraries: the Pantone system was developed as a foolproof and unambiguous way to specify the colors of printing inks, much as some domestic paint mixing systems work. As long as you select the correct Pantone color (072 is a dark blue), it should be guaranteed correct in print. Be aware though that FrameMaker cannot always absolutely reproduce it on the screen.

--
Steve