Japanese in generated indexes

Marc Betz Marc.Betz at roguewave.com
Tue Jun 26 14:58:42 PDT 2012

Hi, everyone,

In documentation for a recently acquired product, we have FrameMaker documents in Japanese. This is my first experience in working with non-English documents. The documents have these characteristics:

§  On my system, at least, whatever font was originally used for Japanese is substituted by the Meiryo font, which is distributed on Windows 7 systems. The console has lines such as this:
The "‰l‰r ‰oúͩ" Font Family is not available.
"Meiryo" will be used in this session.

§  Both the documents and the generated index look all right.

§  However, in the Markers pod, all of the index entries are gibberish, which I have also confirmed in individual markers. It seems odd that the text would be incorrect in the markers but correct in the generated index, but that is what I am seeing.

§  If I generate a marker list using the ixgen utility, I get the same gibberish as in the Markers pod.

§  Although beyond the scope of this particular list, when these documents are generated into WebWorks Help documents using WebWorks Express (through stationary developed in WebWorks ePublisher of course), the index also displays gibberish.

My best guess is this: the markers, Makers pod, and ixgen all fail to substitute an available Japanese font for the marker text. Arial appears to be the font being used. But when the index is generated, FrameMaker does substitute a Japanese font in this document.

So my question to you all: does anyone who works with Japanese documents know to induce FrameMaker to use a Japanese font in markers, and the Markers pod? If you use ixgen, do you know how to obtain proper Japanese text in its generated marker list?

Regards.

Marc Betz