How to get an 'x of y' page number format in the TOC

Apurva Bahadur apurva at writxt.com
Thu Mar 8 22:14:00 PST 2012

Dear All,

Greetings from Pune, India. Thank god for Framemaker!

I am a freelance technical writer for multidisciplinary 'non-IT'
engineering - mechanical, electrical, electronics, instrumentation,
automation and such.

One of the manuals I was working on had a page 'x of y' format (like page 4
of 40). Inserting the current page number and the total number of pages is
the easy part.

   1. View - Master Pages
   2. Format - Headers & Footers - Insert Page #
   3. Add an 'of' text after Page #
   4. Format - Headers & Footers -  Insert Page Count
   5. Switch back to View - Body Pages

At this point  the pages show the page numbers in the headers or footer in
the 'x of y' format.

After this, how does on include this page number format while making a TOC?

The TOC setup procedure (Add-Table of Content) permits the addition of the
following Paragraph Tags - Body, Bulleted, CellBody, CellHeading, Footnote,
Heading1, Heading2, HeadingRunln, Indented, Numbered, Numbered1, Table
Footnote, TableTitle and Title. Is there a similar procedure to tweak the
number formats in the TOC?

I have experimented by adding <$lastpagenum> variable in the reference page
of the TOC (like <$pagenum> of <$lastpagenum>, of which the "<$pagenum>" is
generated automatically by the TOC process while the "of <$lastpagenum>" is
inserted by me). This does not work at all.

Do you have a solution for my query?

--

Regards,

*Apurva*