Balance Columns doesn't balance columns

VLM TechSubs TechSubs at VibrantLivingMinistries.org
Mon Mar 19 10:29:32 PDT 2012

Win 7 SP 1 x64

Frame 8 Build 266

Hi everyone,

I realize that there are some problems running FM8 on Win7, but this strikes me as something
else . I hope.

I've brought forward a document from my Frame 5.5.6 days, updated it to Frame 8, no problem. The
document consists of a single page, single text column, set for 3 columns, balanced. I have no
insets, cross-references, or anything much of note in this document.

The document begins with a single paragraph, across all columns. This is the title.

The text then continues with several paragraphs, then a top-of-column paragraph, several more
paragraphs, then another top-of-column and several more paragraphs. All this is follows by a few
across-all-columns paragraphs to finish the document.

In the original document, balance columns worked fine. But when I edited the text within the 3
columns, the first column lengthened, its last paragraph went up into the second column.  This
forced the first top-of-column paragraph into the third column and the third column off the
display.

Feathering is turned on, but the document won't hold settings and keeps reverting to some
settings I don't really want.

One final bit of input: when I stick a couple of junk paragraphs at the end of the whole thing,
it all balances perfectly.

Has anyone else had problems with balance columns in FM8, Win7, x64, or anywhere else? I've used
FM for years, and I've just never seen it behave like this.

Thanks in advance,

Elchanan