best use of graphics in FM

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Wed Mar 21 06:44:40 PDT 2012

> So the questions are:
> * Does anybody here have a fast way of saving screenshots as legit
> graphics for later reuse, and if so, what is your method and how many
> seconds would you say it takes?
SnagIt is the most recommended screen capture program. It is easy to use
and very feature rich. It probably takes me less than 30 seconds to
capture and save a screen shot-- and I rarely use the program and am not
proficient with it. Someone who uses it frequently would probably be
substantially faster. FrameMaker 9 and 10 have a built-in program,
RoboScreenCapture, that also does screen captures. I can't imagine that
your co-worker's PrintScreen32 program does the work any faster or more
efficiently.

> * Am I being too controlling on this matter? (I suspect yes.)
No, it sounds like you are being sane! The co-worker's method sounds
completely unprofessional.

> * If I'm not too controlling in this, are there any other arguments I
> can use to bolster my side of the story?
Referencing graphics reduces file size, increases speed, and eliminates
possible problems due to memory limits. An external graphic can be more
easily edited and shared by many documents. You can edit an external
graphic to update it, and all the documents that include it are
automatically updated without further user effort.