best use of graphics in FM (was: framers Digest, Vol 77, Issue 17)

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 05:45:35 PDT 2012

I'm afraid this is a misinterpretation on several levels.

First of all, there is no such thing as "Tort's Third Law". Tort is not a person, and there is no single law or even a code of laws that define torts, since they are *civil* offences rather than criminal ones. What I have to assume you are referrint to is "Restatements of the Law Third, Torts: Products Liability", which is a publication of the American Law Institute that assembles and codifies case law (decisions made by judges rather than black letter law that is established by legislative action). The third in this title refer to the third restatement (the restatements need to be revised and extended as new case law is established), not a third law.

Second, it is not correct that "The emphasis of the Tort Law is consumer protection". Besides the fact that there is no "the Tort Law", the reality is that standard definitions of tort law indicate that it deals with situations where a person suffers unfair loss or harm as the result of another person's action(s). The vast majority of tort suits are between two individuals over common things like auto accidents, tresspass and property disputes, and defamation (libel and slander) and less common things like copyright infringement, none of which have anything to do with consumer protection. Only the products liability branch of tort law really falls under the consumer protection heading, but it should also be noted that a very large number of consumer protection issues are actually matters of contract law rather than tort law.

Third, the passage you quotes is not a law. It is, in fact, a clarifying subsection for the section of the Restatement Third that deals with "Liability of Commercial Seller or Distributor for Harm Caused by Defective Products". This section states that "One engaged in the business of selling or otherwise distributing products who sells or distributes a defective product is subject to liability for harm to persons or property caused by the defect". But it is important to note that this section only identifies the vendor as liable.

And I'll leave aside your gratuitous comments about unions and big business and ploiticians, which have no place on the FrameUsers list.

-Fred Ridder