Unstructured to structured FM?

Laura Fergusson l.fergusson at codestuff.net
Fri Mar 23 06:58:20 PDT 2012

Hi all

My boss has mentioned the possibility of transferring our unstructured Frame docs to structured XML format. I have NO experience of structured FM and to be honest I'm a bit intimidated by it! (Boss is technical but knows little about tech writing tools btw)

He thinks that it will make it easier to share our doc set with other parts of the company which has just acquired us - but he's not totally sure - so I'm looking into it. I'm not even sure this is correct.

I am the sole author here and make heavy use of conditional text as we have several different clients and many product variants. I currently use Frame 8 on Windows.

Could you kind guys please tell me the pros and cons of transferring from unstructured to structured? Any caveats or things to watch out for would be appreciated .As I say, I know nothing about structured FM or XML at all, but have many years of experience in unstructured.

Many many thanks

Laura Fergusson
Technical Author