automating FrameMaker 10 + RoboHelp 9 build

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Fri Mar 23 12:12:34 PDT 2012

I'm looking into automating a time-consuming build process and am
curious if anyone has done this successfully. I know how to do it
(I've done similar things in the past with DZbatcher, ANT, etc.), I
just don't want to start the project if I know that it's not possible,
or if these are the wrong scripting tools.

1. Windows batch file: launch FrameMaker from command line and start
ExtendScript

2. FrameMaker ExtendScript: open project, set conditional text for
PDF, update book, save as PDF, set conditional text for online help,
update book, save

3. return to batch file, delete the contents of the Web help target
directory, launch RoboHelp from command line, and start ExtendScript

4. RoboHelp ExtendScript: open RoboHelp project, update FrameMaker
source, generate Web help

5. return to batch file, create .zip file from Web help target
directory, launch Cygwin and start script

6. Cygwin script: cvs commit (I know it's possible to kick off a
Cygwin script at the end of a batch file)