Hypertext?

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Mar 28 01:58:49 PDT 2012

Nadine,

You wrote:

>If you only need to output to PDF, I don't think you need to do anything.
>I ran a quick test with FM 9/Acrobat Pro 8, and Acrobat Pro automatically
>recognized the text in the FM file as an email address (although, I can't
>find how to prevent it from doing this). You might want to give the
>address a character tag in FM to make it look like a link.

Inserting a hypertext marker, as described by Rick Quatro and Syed Zaeem
Hosain, which results in an Acrobat link, is recommended.

When you don't insert the marker, you may still see what looks like a
link,  because of the Acrobat/Reader feature of detecting links in the
content (Edit>Preferences, General; in versions 8/9/X it is called "Create
Links from URLs",  in version 7 "Automatically detect URLs from text").

This detection has some limitations, depending on the Acrobat/Reader
version used by your end users; it is not available with Reader versions
earlier than 7 (and may also also not be available in non-Adobe PDF viewers)

To have fully-functional e-mail links in all versions of Reader, I
recommend adding hypertext links in FrameMaker, so that "real" e-mail links
are present in the PDF (and not relying on auto-detected ones).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants