Generating Indexes

Theresa de Valence TdeV at bstw.com
Wed Mar 28 17:29:55 PDT 2012

Hi Framers,

Frame 8, Acrobat X. The frame file will be distributed as a pdf; some
copies will be printed.

I’m having trouble figuring out how to create indexes. I’ve looked up
lists of markers and indexes and I’m not sure what the difference is. In
the Help System, I can see a picture illustrating sub-entries of
indexes, but I can’t figure out what to change or how.

WHAT I WANT:
1. Index of Subjects (these are really titles) with a TAB between the
subject and the page number. I have modified Level1SIX Paragraph format.
Here’s what Fm generated on the reference page.
1, 2–3
Level2SIX
Symbols[\ ];Numerics[0];A;B;C;D;E;F;G;H;I;J;K;L;M;N;O;P;Q;R;S;T;U;V;W;X;Y;Z
<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics>
-_–—
Level1SIX
openObjectId <$relfilename>:<$ObjectType> <$ObjectId>
<$pagenum>
(These last two are on separate lines with a carriage return between
them, so I don't understand where to put the tab).

2. Index of Authors with a TAB between the author and the page number.
Since some authors have multiple titles, I want a comma after the
second+ page numbers (but not if there are not multiple titles). I have
modified Level1AIX Paragraph format.
Here’s what Fm generated on the reference page.
1, 2–3
Level2AIX
Symbols[\ ];Numerics[0];A;B;C;D;E;F;G;H;I;J;K;L;M;N;O;P;Q;R;S;T;U;V;W;X;Y;Z
<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics>
-_–—
Level1AIX
openObjectId <$relfilename>:<$ObjectType> <$ObjectId>
<$pagenum>
(same as Issue #1, 2 separate lines)

Also, I am currently choosing to create Hypertext markers when the index
is generated, but I’m not sure that’s wise. In the pdf of the Index, the
active area for hypertext link is anywhere between the start of the
author’s name and the first page reference. If there’s another page
reference, it has a very small active area. Can I limit the active area
for the hypertext marker to the page number area without Microtype tools?

Thanks for any light you can shed,
Theresa