Running page header/footer spacin question

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Tue May 8 07:44:10 PDT 2012

Gang and Other Frame-anistas!

We here are considering modifying the page headers in our tech manuals to state
the current topic level 1 headings as they progress through a chapter.
Currently, the page headers are set up as follows:
	* The product name (as a variable) is placed towards the gutter.
	* The manual chapter title is keyed in and manually spaced (via the spacebar)
at the page outer edge.
Simple, elegant, but not what I think is most helpful to the customer.

With the chapter title already stated in the thumb-tab located vertically along
the page edge, I wish to change things a bit and set up a running page header
that does the following:

	* Correctly displays the product name  (at the gutter)
	* Correctly displays the next available topic level 1 (at the page outer edge).
	* Correctly spaces those two elements no matter what the length of the topic
level 1 text (the product name text will remain consistent throughout the book).
Is this possible?

I tried setting up a separate running header as a separate variable definition
that includes the chapter title paragraph tag followed by a comma followed by
the paragraph tag for the topic level 1 heading (all inside their respective
brackets, etc), as shown below:

<$paratext[Chapter Title, Topic level 1]>

Using a manual for an SCC8300 Crawler Crane and a sample chapter titled
"Assembly", this correctly results in the following:

	* First page (a right-hand page which includes the chapter TOC) with a page
header that includes "SCC8300 Crawler Crane" aligned at the page gutter and
"Assembly" (as per the chapter title paragraph tag) aligned at the page outer
right edge.
	* Second page (a left-hand page which begins with the text, images, etc) with a
page header that includes "SCC8300 Crawler Crane" aligned at the page gutter and
"General Maintenance" (as per the first topic level 1 paragraph tag) aligned at
the page outer left edge.But the next topic level 1 heading is "Lubricants,
Coolants and Filters", which displays only with the word "Lubricants" displaying
at the page outer edge (and the remaining words obviously not visible).

I know the simple answer is to kill the product name from the header, but for
the time being, we are tied to including the product name in the page header
along with whatever else will be there.

Any ideas?

-- Kenpo in Atlanta