Running page header/footer spacin question

Wed May 9 18:43:23 PDT 2012

Ken Poshedly wrote:

> I told him the page formatting elements must be the same across all
> book chapters (we call them sections), or else the book (manual) comes
> across looking like a kludge of different stuff from different sources.
> He disagrees. (This is a guy who had been tech pubs manager for a U.S.-
> based heavy equipment company for many years.)

You're using FrameMaker, right? Don't all your chapter files use the same formats, including master pages? Assuming you're using the same Left and Right master page layouts throughout all the chapters (and you should), do the following:

1) Confirm that the headers and footers are the way they should be in that one chapter.

2) In the book window, select all the other chapter files and select File > Import > Formats.

3) In the Import Formats dialog, set Import from Document to the chapter that has the correct headers and footers.

4) Under Import and Update, select Page Layouts and click Import.

That's it. All your chapters will have the correct headers/footers, and it takes under a minute once the first chapter file is set up.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom