Getting to SGML

Al Friend afriend at howelllabs.com
Wed May 16 04:28:49 PDT 2012

FM9 on Windows 7

I write manuals for the US Navy, using FM – and I’m fine as long as I stay
in FM. I structure them using the Navy DTD and all, and they should go to
sgml without too much problem, but I just don’t have a good handle on the
process. Part of the problem is that I only have to do this once every few
years, so it doesn’t stick with me.

Does anyone know of a book or other source that can really walk me through
the process of getting my Navy manuals to acceptable sgml? It would need to
include flowcharts or some other mechanism to educate me on not only how
to, for instance, write a read-write rule, but when one is needed. Some
information on element types would be helpful…. Etc.

I really need my hand held here. TIA,

Al Friend

Safety Officer

Tech Writer/Editor

Documentation Control Coordinator

Howell Laboratories, Inc.

207-647-3327

This email was sent by Howell Laboratories, Inc. or Shively Labs.  It may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you suspect you were not intended to receive it, please delete it without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender by reply email or by calling 207-647-3327.