Random stray number

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed May 16 13:59:39 PDT 2012

On 15/05/2012 3:01 PM, Steve Cavanaugh wrote:
> FrameMaker 10, Windows 7 64 bit, all apps up to date.
>
> I am single-sourcing some content here (unstructured), and this issue is
> driving me bug eyed. I am using a lot of text insets that have
> numbering. I have two styles for numbering these - one that sets the
> numbering to start at 1, and the other to increment the numbering.
>
> I keep the formatting of the text inset when I import to the main
> document. For some reason Frame displays a brand new 1 after the end of
> the numbered list, ONLY in the main document. I do not see it in the raw
> text inset. I've added spaces, added lines with body styles - even tried
> pulling all my hair out. Nothing seems to resolve this extraneous
> number.
>
> There is a clue however - this number only EVER appears on the very last
> page. I have 33 pages here, full of text insets with numbering. None
> misbehaves except the very last one. Anyone have a hint?

Richard Combs wrote a good post on insets a year ago that I quote below.
  I think it applies to your problem.  (It may make a difference to
insert the extra space *before* you import the inset and reposition your
cursor ahead of the space; not sure myself.)

=============================
A text inset is something like an anchored frame or table. It sits in
the flow as a zero-width object at the spot where you inserted it, i.e.,
the "container" paragraph. You can demonstrate this to yourself by
putting the cursor at the end of the paragraph before the text inset and
then pressing the right arrow key repeatedly. You'll see that a single
key-press moves the cursor from just before the text inset to just
after. Type some text after the inset, then triple-click somewhere in
that text to select the entire paragraph. You'll see that the text
inset, like the rest of the paragraph that contains it, is selected.

Since the text inset source is a complete flow, it necessarily ends with
a paragraph end. So the "extra" space is the result of two paragraph
ends in a row: the end of the last paragraph in the text inset source
and the end of the empty container paragraph into which you inserted it.
[...]

The original problem: A long-standing FM bug causes the paragraph
containing a text inset to inherit the format of the first paragraph in
the text inset source _if_ the text inset sits adjacent to the pilcrow
(end-of-paragraph symbol) of the container paragraph. This is
similar/related) to the bug that causes a paragraph override if you
apply a character tag adjacent to the pilcrow. The solution to both is
simple: separate the text inset or char tag from the pilcrow with a
space or something.

I prefer putting text insets in their own empty paragraphs (instead of
at the beginning of whatever follows), so I always insert a non-breaking
space between the end of the text inset and the end of the container
paragraph. A regular space would work, but I prefer having a visible
symbol there as confirmation (I always work with View > Text Symbols on
and strongly encourage doing).

I also use a dedicated paragraph format as the container for text
insets, with size and spacing that works for me (i.e., introduces
"extra" space that I've planned for and can live with).

[R. Combs]

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator