utility to check that all heading names are unique?

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 15:03:33 PDT 2012

Thank you. I miss UNIX.

Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain at aeris.net)
[mailto:Syed.Hosain at aeris.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:53 PM
To: Craig Ede; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: utility to check that all heading names are unique?

Hmmm ... no need to make it too complicated, I suspect. I suspect a variant
of the following command line (if you are on a Unix system anyway) will
probably work:

sort < inputfile.txt | uniq -c | grep -v "   1 "

to find any lines that are present _more_ than once.

(There are three spaces before, and one space character after, the digit 1
above ... to ignore single occurrences.)

In my PC, I wrote my own uniq and grep years ago to emulate the Unix
commands in a DOS window, and "sort" has always been available in a DOS
command prompt ... even in today's Windows 7 environment .