utility to check that all heading names are unique?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon May 21 11:52:06 PDT 2012

At 13:06 -0500 17/5/12, Craig Ede wrote:

>One can pretty easily write a little script (perl, python, etc.) that ticks
>through a text dump of this list and flags you for dupes. If you haven't
>tried to do this sort of thing, it is worth the effort and will spur you on
>to inventing more such tools. That beats the heck out of visually scanning
>for dupes.

You can also do it in Excel with a little ingenuity. Agreed that a spreadsheet application is not one's most intuitive thought for text processing, but it was the only tool I had to hand recently when trying to do something similar (maintain a large list of glossary definitions and check for duplicates). Use and IF()function on a sorted list of text strings to check for dupes, and apply conditional formatting to highlight them if you want to get cute ;-)

Oh drat, I see Bernard's already suggested this...

--
Steve