Awful Letter Spacing After Replacing a Font

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Tue May 22 08:39:39 PDT 2012

Hi, all.

I've just discovered the nifty Fonts pod in FrameMaker 10 (we jumped from 7.1 to 10). Just in time, too, since we've been told to change the body text from Times New Roman to Arial.

I'm using FM 10 in a Windows 7 environment.

I replaced all instances of Times New Roman in a chapter with Arial. The change was instantaneous and the paragraph designer listed Arial as the default font for each affected tag. Wowee! I see that I can also do this replacement across ALL open book files. So I can change Times to Arial in the blink of an eye, across the entire book.

However, the letter spacing in the replaced text is awful.

To fix it, each paragraph tag that has a changed font has to be reapplied. I've used the Global Update within a single file for this, but it still has to be done tag by tag, file by file, doesn't it?. This will be a tedious process for a 100-page document distributed across 7 files.

Is there a way to do this faster? Within FrameMaker's native capabilities, if possible . . .

Thanks.

--Nancy