Best way to rename individual book files and book name in FrameMaker 9

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu May 24 20:45:10 PDT 2012

> Will someone please help with this question?
> Thank you,
> John

1. Start by making a backup copy of everything in case you mess up, so that you can recover gracefully!

2. Exit FrameMaker (or certainly make darn sure that you are not editing the book or any of its files!)

3. In the OS (I assume Windows), change _just_ the book name to whatever you need it to be - whether you do this in a DOS window or from the File Explorer is up to you.

4. Open the newly renamed book in FrameMaker - you will see the included filenames still be the old name(s).

5. Individually change the file names of each file of the book, from _inside_ the book (i.e., within FrameMaker).

Of course, this could be painful if there are a large number of files inside the book ... in that case, I would probably prefer to mess with the MIF copies of the files and book with a text editor instead. This needs care, of course.