newlinks and gotolinks in Acrobat

Fri May 25 07:16:55 PDT 2012

Rick Quatro wrote:

> Interestingly, a named destination for the newlink marker is created in
> the
> PDF, but the link does not point to that destination; it points to the
> named
> destination for the paragraph, which is at the start of the paragraph.
>
> Frankly, I am dumbfounded by this behavior. I tested it in FrameMaker 8
> and
> 10 and it works the same. It looks like a case of Adobe trying to
> "help",
> but for this client, it makes these links unusable in many cases.

Is Create Named Destinations for All Paragraphs turned on? Grasping at straws, I'd try turning it off to see if that prevents the paragraph from getting its own destination, separate from the newlink destination.

For the situations where the paragraph starts on one page and the newlink within it is on another page, one possible workaround is the start a new run-in paragraph at the newlink location.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.