Alfresco data management system

Bjokne, Tim (Contractor) Tim.Bjokne.Contractor at usap.gov
Fri Nov 2 11:43:03 PDT 2012

Has anyone used Alfresco for managing documentation or other digital
content? I would be interested in any feedback regarding it. From all I
have seen and heard about it, it seems like a high-quality, reasonably
priced data management system. However, convincing the Microsoft-centric
IT department at my company that it is a better, and less expensive,
alternative to SharePoint is an uphill battle.

I know that SharePoint, among all the other features it includes, does
include a data management system and a workflow process. However, we
have people all over the world that need to access our document library,
and some locations have very limited bandwidth. Given that SharePoint is
slow to respond even when on the same network, in the same building,
using it from a remote location with low bandwidth is not going to work
for us unless we have SharePoint installations in each location, which,
I believe, will drive the cost even higher.

Any info about how Alfresco works and/or how it compares to SharePoint
would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Tim Bjokne
Program Data Management