Confluence 4 export: the one feature that would justify my upgrading from FM10

Jim Owens jowens at magma.ca
Wed Nov 21 07:59:01 PST 2012

I've been looking into this, and it seems there's a problem due to a
format change. It's important to know what version of Confluence you're
dealing with.

It seems Confluence 3.x and earlier used Confluence Wiki Markup format
for their pages. Beginning with 4.0, Atlassian  changed to the more
expressive Confluence Storage Format. Unfortunately, for importing, they
didn't add support for the new format. So:

- If you produce pages in Confluence Storage Format (the modified
XHTML), you can't import them to Confluence.
- If you produce pages in Confluence Wiki Format and try to add them to
Confluence 4.0 directly via API (as the sourceforge dita2wiki tool
does), they will not be accepted because of the format change.

It should still be possible to produce pages in Confluence Wiki Format
and upload them to Confluence 4.0  via the "Import pages from disk"
feature.  For DITA users, this might involve unbundling a transform I
assume is in the dita2wiki project, to support writing the output to
local files instead of directly to Confluence.

I gather it's also possible to add Wiki Format pages via API and invoke
Atlassian's own converter to change them to Confluence Storage Format,
but no one in the sourceforge community has fully taken this on.