How to generate an index of names without markers (or by automated insertion of markers)

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Sun Nov 25 07:04:02 PST 2012

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Kenneth C. Benson wrote:

> What you want is called a concordance, and I think Ixgen will do this
> (http://www.fsatools.com/). Someone should confirm this. I've never used it.

Indeed, IXgen will do this (among many other things), but not in the
traditonal sense of a concordance (we stayed away from offering
conventional concordance building tools, because fairly bad "indexes"
are often the result).

That said, the best IXgen tool for this particular task would be
"Markers from Keywords".

You would set up a list of your names, what you want to put in a
marker when the name is found (by default the search string is also
the marker content -- but you can change this). You can also indicate
the marker type to use, which would be a good way to keep this
list separate from your main index entries.

You could have IXgen do this automatically, or you could have it do
the process interactively, where you can see the context of each
"find" and (a) skip it, (b) accept it and insert the new marker, (c)
modify the marker text to be used at the particular find, or (d)
select from a drop-down list of marker string choices that has been
built from your previous on-the-fly modifications.

IXgen is pretty slick with the marker creation process. Other
creation tools include markers from paragraph tags and markers from
character tags.

IXgen is also very good at supporting your marker editing tasks, such
as spell checking, unification of markers, making subentries, and so
on.

We invite the original poster to take a look with a fully functional
demo at www.fsatools.com. (For some reason, the original post never
showed up in our inbox.)

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
*** IXGEN 7-10 for FRAMEMAKER 10 IS HERE! ***
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  http://www.fsatools.com