TCS 4 as DITA out-of-the-box solution

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Tue Nov 27 11:27:12 PST 2012

Hi Gillian...

As I'm sure you're aware, I'm a big proponent of using Frame for DITA
authoring, but I do try to remain reasonably objective when comparing it
to other DITA tools.

The big thing that sets TCS apart from other DITA authoring tools is
that in addition to authoring, it provides a more complete publishing
solution for both PDF and various online formats. Other authoring tools
will likely bundle the DITA-OT as the publishing tool, which can work
quite well, if you've got XSLT developers at your disposal. The
HTML-based formats aren't too much work to customize, but if PDF is an
important deliverable, you're in for a lot of time and money to get
XSL-FO styleheets built that would be something you'd deliver to your
customers.

Because TCS includes RoboHelp, you'll find it much easier to get online
Help from DITA, and you'll be hard-pressed to get PDFs from the OT that
come close to what you can get from Frame.

Personally, I use Frame for authoring DITA and Oxygen for coding
XML/XSL. Oxygen is a great tool, but I much prefer the authoring
experience with Frame over any other tool out there. I publish PDFs from
Frame (via DITA-FMx), and use the OT for my online outputs (HTML, CHM,
and EPUB). Samples here ..

     http://docs.leximation.com/dita-fmx/1.1/

If you do decide to use Frame/TCS for DITA, you should check out
DITA-FMx, which provides numerous additional authoring features, as well
as makes publishing complete and PDF-ready books much easier than the
default options ..

     http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/

Cheers,

...scott