TCS 4 as DITA out-of-the-box solution

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 05:09:47 PST 2012

Hello Gillian

Regarding your question about TCS4 being the "complete solution" for
DITA. You have to analyze that statement rather carefully and remember
it's from the evangelist! The comments below are from a TCS4 user.

First, several of the components of TCS4 have nothing at all to do with
DITA - Captivate, Illustrator, RoboScreen Capture, and Acrobat. That
basically leaves FrameMaker and RoboHelp as candidates. So right there
you ask yourself: would buying just FM and RH be better and/or cheaper?

FrameMaker does come with DTDs, EDDs, and templates provided, so you can
immediately create, save, and open DITA XML documents. You'd want to
tweak the templates, of course, and it helps if you are familiar with
EDDs. As an XML editor, FM11 in my view is a big step forward from 9 and
10, but I doubt it can compete with oXygen or xMetal (I have not used
the latter). The ability to output fine PDF is a key difference in
favour of FM. There are some deficiencies in FM, which Scott Prentice
has identified in his comparison at
http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/featurecomparison.php (that comparison
covers FM10 but not 11, but it's still applicable). You may want to
supplement FM11 with DITA-FMx, though there are pros and cons for that too.

Moving on to RoboHelp: RH was fundamentally designed as an HTML
authoring tool. Integration with FrameMaker has been cobbled into it,
and it works on book files, not ditamaps. So you have to create your
book from a ditamap in FM, then open the book in RH. RoboHelp can also
process ditamaps directly, but it rather depends on the day of the week
and how you hold your mouth. I sometimes have a problem with the mouth
part. DITA support in RH has a loooong way to go, and the glowing
reports I read of DITA support in WebWorks (not cheap) give me the
impression that is probably the better tool.

Having said all that, yes, you can use TCS4 to output DITA to PDF and
HTML (we do it). If you don't want impressive PDF, FM is inferior to the
alternatives you mention. If you're happy to just have FM and forgo the
other TCS4 components, there are other tools you could use with FM alone
to create output from DITA files: WebWorks, as mentioned, DITA2Go, etc.

Hope this helps alleviate some of the marketing overhead!

Roger Shuttleworth
London, Canada