Confluence 4 export: the one feature that would justify my upgrading from FM10

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Tue Nov 27 16:08:29 PST 2012

Oops, I meant "Confluence excerpts". https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.artemissoftware.confluence.multiexcerpt.MultiExcerptMacro

So here's my question in a form that might make sense:

Am I right that at the moment, the best FM-to-Confluence flow would be:
1) use MIF2Go to export Confluence 4 XHTML from FM
2) import the output into Confluence one page at a time
3) manually muck with each page to convert the conditional text to Confluence excerpts?

If there's an easier flow for converting conditional-text-rich FM files into Confluence, I'd really appreciate someone describing it.

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> Robert Lauriston <robert at lauriston.com> 27/11/12 05:34 >>>
What are "Confluence extracts"?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM, rebecca officer
<rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
> 1) use MIF2Go to export Confluence 4 XHTML from FM
> 2) import the output into Confluence one page at a time
> 3) manually muck with each page to convert the conditional text to
> Confluence extracts

>>> "rebecca officer" <rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz> 23/11/12 16:50 >>>
Make that 7 people interested in MIF2Go and Confluence. We're not MIF2Go users but if it supported bulk export to Confluence 4, we'd become users in a flash. If it could roundtrip, I'd be over the moon.

Jeremy, I don't want to ask you to put your time into unproductive stuff, but if you could describe how MIF2Go's Confluence export handles conditional text, I'd appreciate it. Am I right that at the moment, the best flow would be:
1) use MIF2Go to export Confluence 4 XHTML from FM
2) import the output into Confluence one page at a time
3) manually muck with each page to convert the conditional text to Confluence extracts

We'd quite like to move to Confluence 4 for its collaborative work environment, but we'd have to convert 10K pages of conditional-text-rich content. That's extremely offputting.

Thanks for all the info in this thread; it's been very informative.

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> "Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy at omsys.com> 21/11/12 11:26 >>>
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:28:01 -0800, Robert Lauriston
<robert at lauriston.com> wrote:

>Confluence has two or three APIs that could be used to write an import
>tool, as well as the plugin SDK. There's also an unsupported
>command-line interface, which in theory should be able to do a batch
>import, but I couldn't get it to work, and did I mention it's
>unsupported?
>
>https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CSOAP/Confluence+Command+Line+Interface

Sounds like a good Open Source project for a
Confluence user/developer.  It doesn't make
sense to add it to Mif2Go except as a separate
program anyway, like the other many free utilities
that come with it.  And frankly, it doesn't make
sense for us to spend that much engineering time
to benefit only the five Mif2Go users who care
about Confluence at all...  ;-)

Of course, if they don't support their own CLI,
what are the odds the APIs work?  Not good, I'd
say, which may be why nobody has done a batch
import utility yet.

>Confluence 4 can export a space to several formats, but not to the
>documented XHTML storage format.

Does Frame import any of them itself?  You'd lose
a lot, and have to completely redo the markup;
that's why we advise adding such content by hand
(copy/paste as PLAIN TEXT only) to the existing
Frame files.  It saves a lot of time over a complete
redo of formats, markers, and conditions.  You'd
think re-import would save time, but you'd be
very wrong.  ;-)

Thanks again for helping us to get the XHTML format
right; that was also a lot of engineering, and it
would have been much more without your critical
eye on the testing.

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.