Confluence 4 export: the one feature that would justify my upgrading from FM10

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Tue Nov 27 21:12:05 PST 2012

Yes, I guess we're using CT like text insets on a very fine-grained scale.

Darn about the lack of content reuse in Confluence. Since that thread in July, I read some of Confluence's marketing material and got hopeful that they might have enough text-inset-like behaviour for our needs. The AutoDesk hybrid system looks great but is way out of our budget. Back to XML, I guess.

The goal of this is to get our software developers helping to write the user docs. The software developers don't want to use XML because it's difficult to learn. They want a nice straightforward wiki. I'll have to see if it's possible to make XML authoring easy enough that software developers can pick it up with pretty much no training. Ugh.

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> Robert Lauriston <robert at lauriston.com> 28/11/12 17:49 >>>
Ah, so you're using conditional text like text insets.

Neither Confluence nor any other extant wiki is set up for reusing
content. We discussed that in detail in July in the "Single sourcing
from Frame and a wiki ... or something ..." topic you started. As I
noted there, AutoDesk's hybrid system does what you want but it's
expensive.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM, rebecca officer
<rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi Robert
>
> Thanks for discussing this - I really appreciate it.
>
> Our company produces half a dozen different hardware products with similar
> software feature sets. There's a lot of feature overlap. And we do new
> software releases at least annually. We've got one set of source FM files,
> and we use conditional text to build a document set for each product at each
> new release. Without conditional text, we'd have to maintain multiple
> similar copies of FM files, which would be an error-rich nightmare. Many of
> the differences are at the word or sentence level, but we could rewrite them
> into separate paragraphs if we have to.
>
> I think, if we go to Confluence, we'll need to create one wiki space per
> product (per release), so we can keep delivering product-specific info. That
> would mean maintaining multiple similar copies, unless we can reuse content
> in multiple spaces. So I'm trying to work out what the Confluence model is
> for reusing content, and how we could get there from FM.

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.