Conditionalizing Master Pages in Unstructured Frame

Tue Oct 2 07:04:40 PDT 2012

Trish Castin wrote:

> I'm dealing with an interesting issue in Frame.  We're in Frame 10 and
> have a template that has four master pages: Right, Landscape,
> TwoColumn, and FourColumn.
>
> For files that do not have conditional text, you can choose the proper
> master page, per page if necessary, and off you go.
>
> If you have conditional text, the text moves.  Which means that text
> that should be on the landscape page, for example, moves to a non-
> landscape page.
>
> Is there a way to conditionalize the master page setting to the
> associated text?  Our current implementation is to make landscape,
> twocolumn, and fourcolumn be separate files within the book, but this
> requires tweaking of book numbering and such.
>
> A coworker mentioned a marker that would set the master page and
> thought that was an option in earlier versions of Frame, but I was
> unable to find that.  Maybe I need to create one, and if so, how?

Your coworker was on the right track, but it's not a marker. You can assign master pages to body pages that contain specific paragraph tags. You do that via a mapping table in the reference pages that lists the specified paragraph tags and the master pages they map to. If the mapping table doesn't already exist, Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages will create it.

The mapping can apply the master page just to the body page on which the specified paragraph is found or to a range of pages (until a different paragraph from the mapping table is encountered).

Look for "assigning master pages" in the help.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom