How to see column width?

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Mon Oct 8 11:21:30 PDT 2012

Hi Karen,

I think Richard's formula is better because I did not account for more than
2 columns. Or, if you have FrameMaker 10 or above, you can put your cursor
in a paragraph in the column and run the snippet below:

#target framemaker
var doc = app.ActiveDoc;
var pgf = doc.TextSelection.beg.obj;
var width = pgf.InTextObj.Width;
alert ((width / 65536) + ' points or ' + (width / 65536 / 72) + ' inches');

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thank you very
much.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-283-5045
rick at frameexpert.com

Hi Framers,

One of our master page layouts got nudged so that a column was very slightly
narrower than it should be (probably an accidental frame-handle grab). We
found this out by hand-measuring print output.

By selecting the Object Properties item from the Graphics menu, I can see
the width and height of a text frame, the number of columns it contains, and
the gap between those columns, in the Customize Text Frame dialog. I could
presume that if those items are correct, theoretically the column width is
correct. But where can I see the actual width of the columns to confirm it?

Thanks,
Karen