Checklists with AutoForm Radio Buttons

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Wed Oct 10 07:45:46 PDT 2012

OK, additional news/breakthrough! (And a sheepish apology for not
providing full details--I didn't think that the following mattered.)

OK, so this checklist is intended to be viewed on a tablet, so the page
layout is 7.5 x 5.5 (i.e., "Custom").
Apparently, "Custom" leads FM to decide that I'm in landscape
orientation.
BUT, if I don't check the "Auto-rotate Pages" option in Distiller (PDF
Settings) then it actually ends up "portrait" (narrowest edge top; i.e.,
rotated 90° CCW). So I'm NOT in "landscape" according to FM, actually;
I'm in CW-rotated portrait with my text all CCW-rotated to read
right-to-left. Yeah, that's the ticket... SURELY that's what I meant
with that page size! *rollseyes*

If I auto-form the unrotated ("portrait"; CCW-rotated) output, no fields
are recognized.

SO... Somewhere between my Custom 7.5 x 5.5 being perceived as
pseudo-landscape by FM and Distiller auto-rotate and Acrobat thinking
the page is re-rotated... it's confused. (More so than I am, apparently!
A relief!) I discovered this when I randomly changed a checkbox to use
checks instead of squares, and the check mark was rotated 90° CW.

So now, my question has evolved to:
---
How and where do I establish that 7.5 x 5.5 is what I want, the top is
the top, and nothing should be "rotated" per se, as it all is oriented
the way I want. Acrobat form wizard should scan right-to-left, then
top-down.
---

SOMEWHERE in that application/processing chain, Adobe products decide
that I didn't *really* mean that the top of my page is actually the top,
due to this page size; and so *surely* I meant rotated landscape pages
with counter-rotated text so it can be read.

... Save as PDF has same problem.
... And if I make the Page Size US Letter... it STILL mis-pairs Yes/Yes
and No/No... and yet the check mark is oriented correctly!?! So the form
wizard actually has conceded that, yes, this page is portrait
orientation... but it still scans and pairs top-down, left-to-right.

*sigh*

Am I screwed? Is this just plain a bug in the form wizard and I'm going
to have to manually recreate all the mis-pairing (which, in production,
could be scores)?