making external links open in a new browser window in RoboHelp WebHelp output

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Thu Oct 25 16:07:22 PDT 2012

I just noticed that external links in the WebHelp generated by
RoboHelp 9 from my FrameMaker 10 source open in the help topic frame
instead of a new window.

I found this topic in the RoboHelp > FrameMaker integration forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4567603

The solution there, to avoid messing up links in PDF output, is to
create two different hypertext markers, one for PDF and one for help,
and conditionalize them.

That seems like a lot of work to set up and, worse, pretty fragile to maintain.

Is there a more elegant solution that would just let me tell RoboHelp
that external links should have the _blank option? Post-processing
would be OK, the build is already automated.