Graphics & transparency

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Wed Sep 5 15:05:05 PDT 2012

I have seen this original post and the follow-up responses and wanted to clarify a few points.

(1)        FrameMaker absolutely does not support graphic transparency as that particular term applies to the Adobe imaging model and PDF versions beginning with PDF 1.4. For that matter, neither do PostScript or EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files formats support live transparency. PDF files with live transparency that are imported into FrameMaker documents have their transparency "flattened" when they are internally converted into EPS. PDF created by FrameMaker is always via distillation of PostScript and by definition, never has live transparency.

(2)        FrameMaker "supports" everything that EPS supports in terms that whatever is in the EPS file to start with is output into the PostScript stream for printing or PDF creation. EPS files don't have transparency, but can have clear backgrounds, i.e., no background behind the objects in the EPS file. Unfortunately, some designers cling to the concept that they must always provide a white background for their artwork. If the file has such a background in Illustrator, you are pretty much stuck with it when the resultant EPS is imported into FrameMaker.

(3)        For display purposes, FrameMaker only displays the TIFF preview of an EPS file and even then ignores the transparency in the low resolution TIFF preview (if you save as EPS in Illustrator and request a transparent background). Thus, you will not see a clear background.

(4)        Be careful to check the "runaround properties" of the EPS file you place. That could force the clear background to be "lost" in not only display, but print!

            - Dov

[cid:image001.png at 01CD8B77.D51D2AC0]

Dov Isaacs
Principal Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated

+1 408.536.2896 (tel)
+1 408.242.5161 (cell)
isaacs at adobe.com

345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA  95110-2704 USA
http://www.adobe.com

Feel free to print this e-mail
if your needs dictate hard copy.
There is no need to feel guilty about printing!
Paper is renewable and recyclable.