OT: Index page ranges

Kenneth C. Benson kbenson at pegtype.com
Thu Sep 6 04:44:19 PDT 2012

This is Chicago Manual of Style, I'm pretty sure (I don't have one
here). The rule is not to repeat the hundreds digit if it's the same on
both ends of the range. I think, then, that 244-247 should become 244-47
(not 244-7). Makes it very hard to search for page ranges replacing
hyphen with en dash. I suspect (based on when I began seeing this) that
CMS changed this style around 2000.

Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type
www.pegtype.com