How to add Table numbers to List of tables

Apurva Bahadur apurva at writxt.com
Thu Sep 6 09:52:50 PDT 2012

Hi Rick,

I am honoured to get a reply from such a Framemaker legend!

I tried to look at the reference page of the LOT and was puzzled by four
instances of the <$paratext> block. Three of the instances are under the
'Cross-Reference Macros', while the fourth is on the last page in a
paragraph that starts with the text 'openXmlElementId.' Which of the
<$paratext> block should I modify?

While awaiting the reply to my question, I came across this document from
CERN http://lhcb-muon.web.cern.ch/lhcb-muon/results/tdr.pdf . The List of
Tables and the List of Images of the above pdf are probably built using a
cross reference process.

Following the CERN document, I assembled a List of Tables page that
contains tabular data similar to the pdf with crosslinked data such as
Table Number,  Table Name and Page.

I believe this style of building TOC, LOT and LOF using crossreferences are
used in defense manuals, although the automatic method (as suggested by
you) would look more elegant, provided I can get the Table Number, Name and
Page Number fields automatically.

I have a supplementary question that popped up while creating the cross
referenced table.

I used the Cross reference dialog box (Special -> Cross - Reference) to
enter the various cross references in the hand assembled list of tables. I
need to choose the various documents of the book in the Source Document
field. However, every time I made an entry, the document window snapped
back to the 'Current' document. How do I force this dialog box to maintain
the selected document in the 'source document' field until I choose another
document to cross reference?

I await your reply.

Regards

Apurva from Pune, India.