Unstructured to Structured: Question about retaining, paragraph formats

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Thu Sep 13 15:02:34 PDT 2012

I like Fred's arguments here. I have mainly advocated the
Paragraph/Character format approach in EDDs for two main reasons:

1) It is generally easier to have a single EDD work with multiple templates,
which is advantageous for some document sets.

2) It allows the client a bit of flexibility in determining the look and
feel of their templates. I do the EDD work and they can do the template work
with the Paragraph and Character Designer interface that they are familiar
with.

Because the large number of formats that this approach can entail, you need
to plan your format names carefully so they make sense to the template
designer.

Over time, I have become less strict, and moved to more of a mixed approach.
For certain types of formatting, I will use a base paragraph format and
specify "exceptions" in the EDD; for example, page breaks, extra space at
the end of a list, etc. This still allows template changes with the
Designers, but cuts back on the number of "exception" formats in the
paragraph and character catalogs. I have found that this works well and
still supports the two reasons above.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.