Unstructured to Structured: Question about retaining, paragraph formats

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:36:26 PDT 2012

You can change the paragraph formats by importing templates with different
formats without using structure (which is how I assume Robert is getting the
differences he cites in his outputs).

However, structure allows you to create context that gives different
paragraph formatting to the same structural element (like a Heading)
depending on whether it is inside another Heading or inside multiple levels
of Heading. That way your structure shows the Heading as single element
choice, but the formatting is brought in depending on what that element is
contained within. In that way your EDD can reference the paragraph tags like
Heading1, Heading2, Heading3, etc. depending on the level of the Heading
element.

For my money, it makes sense for the EDD to reference paragraph and
character tags defined in the Structure Application's template rather that
creating ad hoc formatting within the EDD. That becomes a lot harder to
reengineer in a different context since it is hidden away in the EDD rather
than in the document template specified by the Structured Application
specified in FrameMaker.

Craig