Fwd: Re: FM 11 somewhat disappointing. Am I alone?

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:33:19 PDT 2012

Hi Rob

I love the XML features of FM11, which was the real reason why I bought
it for use at home. At work I have a subscription for TCS4. I've
experienced some problems too:

FM11 takes forever to print to PDF, whatever method I use. Book files
that used to print in less than 10 minutes in FM9 now take 90 minutes;
but no crashes when printing to PDF. The performance is simply not
acceptable. I have experienced a couple of crashes; the most recent was
when comparing two documents (File > Utilities). FM just spun for two
hours, then quit without so much as a message box.

The other frustration is with Acrobat X Pro. My Adobe PDF printer
disappeared completely, and then Acrobat just stopped working altogether
- wouldn't start. After a reinstall it works OK, but the printer has
disappeared again since.

I'm hoping these issues will be addressed in a patch or two

Roger
London, Canada

  On 17/09/2012 6:46 PM, Rob Shell wrote: > Dear Framers: > I felt so
bad about my previous criticisms re FM 9 that I went out and > splurged
on TCS4. > Let me start by saying there are some nice features and a
marginal > improvement in stability in FM11. > The pods for example,
seem better behaved. The PGF does not get tired and > hide. The margins
can now safely be changed using the slider. > However, I have not seen
anything really moving FM towards that crystal > clarity and total
stability we all so need. > The print to .ps protocol seems to have
changed. I cannot print a book to > postscript without a sudden crash.
It does not even start printing. > I have adjusted the printer
properties in nearly every configuration I can > think of. One issue is
the printer or pdf converter keeps reverting to > letter when I want A4.
 > The strange thing is FM11 saves to pdf with no trouble at all. > I
have tried with various good (FM9) book files: they all cras > h with
FM11. I > have stripped all graphics elements in a test book file. That
did not help. > > Individual files print perfectly to .ps > > Here is
the windows crash message: > FrameMaker.exe > 11.0.0.380 > 4ff4018d >
FrameMaker.exe > 11.0.0.380 > 4ff4018d > c0000005 > 000a0ed2 > 10a4 >
01cd9511f95a084e > C:\Program
Files\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\FrameMaker.exe > C:\Program
Files\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\FrameMaker.exe >
b176c7f9-0109-11e2-b3df-001fc60d0248 > > Please, I want to be an
agreeable house companion . I notice that other > people are also
complaining on the web. > I cannot even find the new pdf manual but am
working through some FM videos > searching for a hint of what to do. > >
currently subscribed to framers as shuttie27 at gmail.com. > > Send list