Help with unicode and question marks

Christoph Korsmeier christoph.korsmeier at werktext.eu
Mon Sep 17 21:16:40 PDT 2012

Hi Stuart,

the Windows 7 character map is misleading as it seems to display replacement glyphs from other fonts, where the font you have selected has them missing.
We just switched from Windows XP a week ago, and now I'm annoyed I can't view what's actually inside a font anymore.

Myriad (being a proper unicode font) simply doesn't have that checkmark glyph. You might want to try other fonts from your system, since if your charmap displays it, it should definitely be somewhere.

i. A. Christoph Korsmeier

Tel.-Durchwahl: 022 41 - 942 43 - 12
E-Mail: christoph.korsmeier at werktext.eu

werkText
Technik und Kommunikation

Industriestraße 39–41
53721 Siegburg
Tel.: 022 41 - 942 43 - 0
Fax: 022 41 - 942 43 - 29
www.werktext.eu

 Original Message processed by David.fx12
Help with unicode and question marks (17-Sep-2012 23:33)
From:   Stuart Rogers
To:Framers at lists.frameusers.com

FM 10.0.2.419, Win7pro 64-bit

I am trying to enter a checkmark glyph in a .fm document. The paragraph
is formatted to use Myriad Pro, which is a unicode font. No matter how
I try to insert the glyph (Hex Input, Character Palette, copy and paste
special as unicode from Word), FM displays only a question mark.

The character appears in the character palette (with Myriad Pro chosen
as the font) at position x2713 or decimal 10003. Typing Alt+10003 works
in Word (with Myriad Pro chosen), but doing so fails in FM. The Hex
Input tool correctly displays the character in its ugly little black
box; the Character Palette correctly displays the character in its
really ugly black box. But all I get is question marks in my document.

What am I missing?

thanks,

--
Stuart Rogers