Getting started with Context-Sensitive Help

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Fri Sep 21 14:48:18 PDT 2012

Hi Heather...

Since you're working with DITA source files, you might want to post this
question to the framemaker-dita and/or dita-fmx-users Yahoo groups.
Might get other opinions from people in a similar situation.

With TCS4, your option is is basically to continue using RoboHelp. I'm
not sure if RH can be set up to use attribute values as the CSH
identifiers, which would be the "proper" DITA way to embed these IDs in
the source content, but I believe that it uses markers (someone with
more expertise with RH could confirm this). You can use the
fm-data-marker element with DITA-FMx to add elements that are stored as
DITA data elements, but become an FM marker when opened in Frame. You'd
add the markers (as fm-data-marker elements) with your context IDs, and
when you generate the Help, it should allow you to reference those IDs
using context-based Help calls.

You could go through a similar process using WebWorks ePublisher, as
well as other Help publishing tools. Typically, you'd embed the marker
into the topics, and publish through the standard process for that tool.

You could also use the DITA OpenToolkit, but you'd need to develop the
conversion process and transformation from your Help IDs into the
generated Help.

You may want to work backwards from your product to Help, to determine
what CSH actually means for you. Are you just clicking a button in a
dialog and getting Help on that dialog, or do you have other contextual
situations where you want Help. It's not necessarily the same thing for
everyone.

I create the context sensitive Help for DITA-FMx using the DITA-OT, but
I just set up the software to link directly to the HTML topics in the
CHM file. Since I'm both the writer and developer, I have easy access to
these things and don't need the extra layer of indirection that is
typically provided by adding "Help IDs" to topics. There are many ways
to achieve the same thing.

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice