Frame 7.1/Acrobat 9: unable to generate PS or save as PDF

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Sun Sep 23 19:05:06 PDT 2012

 > I cannot generate a PDF or PS file using Acrobat 9. Frame hard crashes
 > each time I try to either "Save as PDF" or "Print to file" using Acrobat
 > as the printer.

 > I have patched up to the latest level of Frame 7.1, and am running XP.

Did you install both Acrobat and the PDF creation add-on that comes with
FrameMaker? If so, that's probably your problem. They cannot coexist.
You also should not have a version of Adobe Reader on the same computer
as Acrobat 9. So uninstall Acrobat, Adobe Reader, and FrameMaker, then
reinstall only your Acrobat 9 and FrameMaker. DO NOT reinstall
FrameMaker's PDF creation add-on or Adobe Reader.

Then, _printing to_ Adobe PDF should work fine, but _Save As_ will not.
If I recall correctly, as of v. 7.0 or 8.0, Acrobat  moved the storage
location of certain files and FrameMaker 7.1's Save As feature still
helplessly looks for them in the old location.

Mike Wickham