Question about saving to a .mif

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Mon Sep 24 09:35:14 PDT 2012

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:17:36 -0600, "Tammy Van Boening" <tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com> wrote:

>I have a book with six files that was created in FM 10.0.2.419. I must send
>this book and all its files to a user who has FM 9.0. When using the Save As
>option to save the book and its files in a .mif format so that the user can
>open them, I have two .mif options. One is MIF 10 and one is MIF 7. Why
>would FM 10 offer these two options and not MIF 9 or MIF 8?

Because 8, 9, and 10 are all Unicode-based, and can
read later MIF files fine, just discarding whatever
they do not support.  That's been one of the key
benefits of MIF all along, the ability of older
Frame versions to read newer MIF files.

>Also, will I lose features in the files if I save to MIF 7 instead of MIF 10?

Yes.  Mainly, Frame will back-convert to the pre-Unicode
encodings that were understood by Frame 7 and earlier,
so Unicode characters that lack representation in those
encodings will become "?".  Only use MIF 7 if you really
need someone with FM 7 or earlier to use the file.

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/