FrameMaker -> PDF -> ePub format?

Keith Soltys keith.soltys at tmx.com
Fri Apr 5 11:21:30 PDT 2013

Formatting for ebooks is very different for formatting for fixed layout like print or PDF. It's more akin to formatting for an online help format like CHM or webhelp. Your reader has a little 4x6 window into which you have to shoehorn your text, and you don't know what font size or possibly even what font they are using. Additionally, the formats themselves (EPUB2, EPUB3, MOBI) have major limitations in how they handle common formatting elements (indents, bullets, interline and paragraph spacing), tables, and graphics. You have tools that introduce their own bugs (Calibre, InDesign)  And finally, you cannot assume that your carefully crafted file, which displays perfectly on the device you tested it on (a Nook, for example) will display properly on another device from a different manufacturer (a Kobo or an iPad).

It’s like the wild west out there right now - think of the early days of the web, with incompatible browser standards and various flavours of HTML - but worse.

If you have to distribute a highly formatted document, ebook formats may not be the best solution, especially if that document contains tables with complex layouts. PDF works well on tablets, but not so well for E-Ink based readers. You really need to test your documents on the devices your readers will be using to see what gives the best results.

Regards
Keith

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY This e-mail, including all materials contained in or attached to this e-mail, contains proprietary and confidential information solely for the internal use of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or otherwise and ensure that it is permanently deleted from your systems, and do not print, copy, distribute or read its contents.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ Le présent courriel, y compris tous les documents qu'il contient ou qui y sont joints, renferme des renseignements exclusifs et confidentiels destinés uniquement à l'usage interne du destinataire prévu. Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement, notamment par retour de courriel, et vous assurer qu'il est supprimé de façon permanente de vos systèmes; veuillez également vous abstenir d'imprimer, de copier, de distribuer ou de lire son contenu.